Adapted recipe. The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp. of pepper in the gravy. I used 1/4 tsp. Yield: Makes 4-6 Servings.Since Christmas it has been a very quiet time. My wedding anniversary is tomorrow. We'll be going out to dinner. Looking forward to New Years. We will be spending it at home watching the ball drop in New York Times Square. Happy New Year! & Cheers!
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
2 tsp. pepper, divided
1 to 1 1/2 pounds cubed round steaks
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 cup water
Vegetable oil ( I used olive oil)
1 ( 14.5-ounce can chicken broth)
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. each of salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
- Stir together remaining 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, and 1 1/2 cups flour in a shallow dish.
- Stir baking soda into 1 cup of water in a bowl.
- Dip each steak in the water mixture, and dredge in the flour mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2-inch in a large electric skillet; heat to 360 degrees F.
- Fry steaks 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain and keep steaks warm in a 225 degree F. oven in a pan.
- Drain hot oil from the electric skillet reserving 2 T. of drippings and brown bits in the skillet.
- Whisk in 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 cup flour into skillet over medium heat. Whisk in broth.
- Put steaks on plates and pour gravy over each steak.